I live in Vancouver, land of coffee culture. My stomping grounds have coffee shop after coffee shop. Freshly roasted, organic, fair trade, locally owned, chains. Everyone is after the perfect fix. The most common casual social visit seems to involve “going for coffee.” I don’t like coffee.

In fact, I HATE coffee! I don’t even like the smell. The worst taste in my mouth occurred the day I accidently took a sip of coffee instead of my hot chocolate. Nasty. And it lingered….

As coffee is such a social ritual here in Canada, I decided I needed a hot drink alternative – tea. I have always liked iced tea, but I am not a big fan of hot drinks. I like the tea ritual and drinking it socially, but I don’t think I will ever just make it for myself.

From drinking many pots of tea at Vietnamese restaurants, I discovered tea is best in a tiny cup! If you are drinking from a tiny cup, you will need a teapot. One evening I saw this fabric and knew I had to make a tea cosy!

Quilted Tea Cosy

my favorite side

I put together this tea cosy with a general idea of size and little else. I am not sure if this one is for myself or my sister. My sister is giving me a new teapot so I didn’t have anything to measure so I went on the larger side. The final opening ended up 11.5″ tall and 10.75″ wide at the bottom. It would be easy to modify the method for any teapot size. Next time I would use a smaller bottom strip of fabric.

Tea Cosy Lining

orange lining, hand sewn binding

How I did it…

First I drew out the shape I wanted on some muslin. I cut it out and cut it into two pieces as templates for the top and bottom fabrics.

Next I cut out two top curved pieces and two bottom rectangle pieces for the outside of the cosy.

I decided I wanted something to separate the two fabrics so I cut two 1″ strips of solid fabric the width of the rectangle piece.

Using a 1/4″ seam allowance, I pieced together the two front pieces for the tea cosy.

Using the front pieces as a template, I cut out 4 pieces of cotton batting. I decided to double up my batting because it was quite thin.

Next I cut out two pieces of solid orange for the lining roughly the same size as the front pieces. They were slightly bigger than the front and trimmed after quilting.

I pinned together the two quilt sandwiches, got out my walking foot and quilted them in a design I made up as I went.

Next I cut out a 2″ strip of solid brown to make the binding for the bottom. I machine stitched the front down and then hand stitched the back.

I pinned the two quilted pieces right side together with a loop of fabric between them (for hanging). I stitched around the edges except the bottom, and trimmed the seam allowances.

Lastly, I turned it right side out and top stitched around the edges, encasing the raw edges like a french seam.

If there is any interest I could take some pictures for a tutorial.