You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘baby’ tag.

I started my new job so I have been working the last month. My spare time has disappeared and been replaced with a pay cheque.

I did manage to finish off a baby quilt for my cousin who is having twins! They are supposed to be two girls. And yes, I knew they were girls when I picked out the fabrics. Why does everything for girls have to be pink? I don’t understand how blues and greens are for boys, they are the colours of nature.

I had it rolled/folded up so it is wrinkly in the pictures. I haven’t washed it yet but it will most likely get pretty crinkly when I do.

Quilt for Twin 1

It is a very simple pattern. The prints are Playday in Spring by SEI. Sashing is Kona Pacific. Binding is Kona Orange.

Quilt for Twin 1

I love looking at the quilts with neutral sashing and classy binding,  but I always end up far away from neutral!

Quilt for Twin 1

The backing is the elephants in rows on green used in the top quilt. The orientation for the quilt is reversed on the back.

Quilt for Twin 1

The quilting is just shadowed on either side of the seams down the columns. I didn’t have much time so it was a quick way to make it happen.

The last quilt I did had denser straight line quilting. I liked it but I found the drape strange. I also suspected less dense quilting is warmer.

Quilt for Twin 1

So now I have to make another. Oi. I have the prints cut out and that is it. I bought some extra white with the blue birds to use for sashing. I’m not sure how I can finish it in time because she is due in August. I am tempted to just make a couple of dresses, kimonos, softies or something small to go with the quilt. However, everyone says two quilts for twins.

Advertisements

Since the mushroom top (size 2) worked as a short baby dress, I decided a diaper cover was in order. I used the free pattern from Prudent  Baby.

Mushroom Diaper Cover

The result! I still have to try it on the baby…

Mushroom Dress

I’m not sure if you can tell from the picture, but these baby thighs are huuuuuge!

To accommodate her thighs, this 7 month old baby wears 24 month capris for jeans. They will slim out when she start running around, but I increased the elastic length for the leg holes so they won’t pinch this summer.

I did have to make one modification to the pattern. My left over fabric wasn’t big enough for the full back piece (it is bigger than the front to allow for diaper bum). I added a small crotch piece, shown in the picture below.

Diaper Cover - Crotch

My only trouble making this cover happened when trying to feed the elastic in casing around the first leg hole. I could only get the safety pin over the seams in the direction they were pressed! Otherwise the seam would get bunched and I hit a dead end. This issue wouldn’t have been a big problem if I just had the two seams, but the extra seam due to the extra crotch piece was in the wrong direction.

I had to sew the casing again, leaving the hole to feed the elastic at the extra crotch piece. It worked!

In other news, I hate when I have to “fold over 1/*”, press, fold over another 1/*” and press again.” It is especially annoying on small curved parts. In better news, I have noticed my sewing machine skills have improved drastically over this past month!

Work through the pain.

Flickr Photos

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 5 other followers